Tuesday 21 May 2013

China Bar

CHINA BAR - 235 Russell Street, Melbourne, 3000

China Bar... hmm the only real good thing I can really say about this place is that it's open 24 hours so even after a long night of clubbing or drinking out with your mates you can always stop over for a meal at China Bar. I went to China Bar AGAIN *grunt* not too long ago after a night out with friends and I suggested maccas or some other greasy fast food but majority rules and everyone voted China Bar -_-;. This is honestly one of the worst places to eat at after clubbing or drinking... Why? Worry not... this shall be explained.

First of all if you've been clubbing all night, drinking, sweating because of the dancing or the stuffiness of people in the bar/club, you're quite dehydrated. I know I am... Last thing I want to do is eat food that is high in sodium and MSG and become MORE dehydrated. China Bar has BOTH these, and in excess amounts that it goes straight to my head and leaves me panting like a dehydrated dog. I don't know if it's a special ability of mine and maybe a few people to be able to pick up that MSG taste but my friends are completely impervious to it >_>... I'm just there drinking water from the jug and they're just casually eating like nothing is wrong... NOOBS! This makes the food quality in the poor range for me. Too much MSG just takes the quality out of the food. Anywho that's the main problem and personally my main problem. Mainly because I never finish off any dish I get from China Bar because too much sodium or MSG intake gives me a headache or stomachaches. Waste of money right? My pet peeve... Doesn't help that I'm a cheap asian as well :/

Besides the hoard of MSG in their food you DO get value for money and the service is pretty decent though. Then again nearly every fast-Chinese restaurant gives you a big portion and at a cheap price. You do get your food fast, quick refills of water, some of them actually smile when they take your order. It's also quite spatious and have seating downstairs and upstairs so it's safe to bring your mob there. Quite packed after clubbing hours though so you might just have to wait a little while. The menu consists of a noodle or rice dish with different things added to it. Good variety to choose from. The price is like any standard Chinese restaurant with main meals ranging from $10-15, entrees such as congee and finger food like spring rolls/curry puffs ranging from $5-8.

Overall I would have to say that if I could I would NOT enter this restaurant again and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone, unless you're desperate and have major cravings for Chinese food at 4am but personally I'd just stick to a Big Mac :).

Restaurant setting and atmosphere: 3/5
Quality of food: 2/5
Service: 3/5
Value for money: 3/5

Overall: 2.75/5






No comments:

Post a Comment